Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Bostionian in New York; #16

The Bostonian
Height: 6’2
Age: 41
Met: Online
A taller, salt and pepper version of Chris O’Donnell

They say that good things come to those who wait. In my experience, the more I wait, the worse the heartache and the deeper the decline of self confidence and security. But all of my past relationships aside, I decided my bitterness didn’t apply to a first date. A year ago I would have been irritated and head-strong if I first made contact with a man and didn’t get the opportunity to meet him until 7 weeks later, but right now I have nothing to lose.

I first heard from The Bostonian in July. So long ago, in fact, that I can’t even look at our entire correspondence because Match.com automatically deleted it. His dating “headline” read: “Any fun, health conscious athletic poets out there? Kindness trumps all else.” Kindness trumps long flowing hair? A great rack? A 24 inch waist? Can’t be possible! But in e-mailing back and forth I started to believe that it was.

It seemed that anytime one of us was available to meet up the other one wasn’t. Not making matters any easier, he works all week in Boston and spends only some weekends in New York. I was surprised to hear from him on Friday night, asking if I was free at all over the weekend. Though I was working all weekend I was able to meet for an afternoon coffee. I suggested meeting in Union Square Park and he suggested a well known coffee shop in the area which I had never been to.

I got up Saturday morning and got myself ready for both date and work and headed into the city. I got into the neighborhood a little early so decided to do some shoe shopping before my 3:00 date. At 2:45 I got a text asking if we could push back to 3:45. What’s one of my biggest pet peeves? Punctuality. I was really irritated but had nothing better to do so said “sure but I won’t have much time.”

I arrived at the coffee shop a few minutes early and checked in with the hostess who wouldn’t seat me until the rest of my party arrived. This has always driven me nuts about NYC. Luckily it wasn’t but a minute later when I saw someone who, even with sunglasses, resembled the man I had seen in the pictures. I said his name and he turned around with a big grin on his face and immediately gave me a big hug, as if we had been old friends. The hostess directed us to our table and handed us beverage menus (I had already told her we weren’t eating).

As soon as he took his sunglasses off I realized that the photos I had seen had not done justice for this Bostonian’s eyes. They are perfectly shaped, a beautiful blue-gray, and, for having been around for several decades, showed few signs of age. A bit heavier than I had imagined and not as infectious a smile as when photographed, he was definitely as handsome as I had hoped he’d be.

The first thing he wanted to hear about was my new job and he was really excited about it. We talked at length about my new career venture and he insisted that “[I’m] going to be the most popular woman in Manhattan!” He was exaggerating but I liked the sound of it. His work had taken him to London and Paris for several years, and now back and forth on the East Coast, but I realized I have no idea what he does. His career found him working at the White House during the Clinton administration, which is supremely exciting for me, but I don’t know what kind of work he does. I suppose knowing that he is a Democrat is enough for me.

It turns out that we have quite a bit in common. We were both raised by single mothers after being abandoned by our fathers. We were both estranged over a decade when our fathers passed away. We both suffer from middle child syndrome, though he is the second of four and I am the middle of three. And surprisingly, we both are overwhelmed by existential thought. He is even researching to write a novel on parallel universes and quantum physics. I couldn’t believe it when he had seen and loved the film “What the Bleep Do We Know?”

It was really easy to talk to him and I feel cheated that he robbed me of 45 minutes of conversation. He said that he was beginning to worry that we would never meet and he’d always have to wonder about me. I was pleased that he didn’t bring up baseball, as I already knew he was a Red Sox fan. It didn’t come up until the waiter brought us our check and the Bostonian pulled out a Red Sox debit card. Ugh. I don’t know if that is something I could ever get over!

All and all I was sad to have to leave so soon, as I could have sat and talked with him for a couple more hours. I don’t know that I will see him again. We parted with him saying “I’ll see you again, soon” but I don’t know if it will happen, or is meant to be. Though I could just swim in his eyes, I didn’t feel that tingly sexual chemistry you want to have on a first date. The kind I had with Dr. Drummer, The Marine, and The Ramone. I guess we will let it work itself out. He was definitely worth the wait.

Bonus Featured:
*beautiful eyes
*philosophic
*supportive and optimistic

As-Is Defaults:
*a Boston Red Sox fan
*punctuality, or possible lack thereof

No comments: