Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Saturday, July 25, 2009

#6 My Perfect Match?

Mr. Perfect
Height: 6'2
Age: 38
Met: Online
Should be on TV playing a business guy kind of hot

I wanted to give this one time to settle before writing because I needed answers. It has been two weeks and I don't have answers but at least follow-up. Maybe this should be called "50 First Online Dates" because that seems to be the theme right now. Mr. Perfect first contacted me a few weeks ago via an online dating service. The "hello" wasn't one that dreams are made of but when I opened his profile I was kind of blown away. On paper, this guy is the man I have always imagined I would spend my life with. A real estate investment guy who lives in Hartford and has an office both there and in NYC, I could move back to the country/suburban area I love yet still maintain a city life as well. Well rounded he loves the Yankees but is also well read and accompanies family to the theatre frequently. Did I mention he's gorgeous? Tall, dark, and handsome does actually exist and he lives in West Hartford!

After several back and forth's via e-mail he asked if he could call me. You may be surprised to know that I was hesitant. On my screen this guy had no flaws, yet. I was scared of finding blaring flaws in the first phone conversation, or even worse, still not finding any flaws and falling for this guy straight away. I'm a woman scorned who still gives her heart with great ease which can be dangerous. I decided to get it out of the way. He called the first time right in the midst of a movie and I immediately asked if I could call him back, even if it would be late. To which he said "by all means. I'll be waiting." Ga-goom. Ga-goom. That first few seconds said an awful lot. Both because of what he said and the sound of his voice. He has one of those not too low kinds of a voice that resonates deeply at the same time that just makes me melt.

Close to midnight I call him back on his land line, per his request. It goes straight to voicemail. So I shoot him a text on his cell, letting him know and should I call him on his mobile. Before I get a response my phone starts to ring. It is Mr. Perfect. For the next three and a half hours he proves me correct on his already given title. The conversation we have is broad and flowing. From family to politics. From sports to music we have to tear ourselves away from the conversation even though it could continue through dawn. Before hanging up we schedule a time to meet. He will be in New York later in the week for business meetings. Knowing his schedule will be full with prep and business mingling the first two days, he asks if he can "borrow" me on Friday night before I leave town for two weeks. But, of course.

Though we don't speak on the phone again he continues to check in with me throughout the next couple of days; how's your week? are we still on? want to meet me in Bryant Park around 7? Yes! He even picks my favorite place in Manhattan. I could be in for some serious trouble. Ice cream and a walk are the plan so I choose the outfit carefully.

I end up looking like a suburban housewife having a luncheon, not entriely by accident, and am thrilled that the humidity is low so I'm not sporting an 'fro along with it. As always, I arrive about 15 minutes early and find a table amongst a throng of people beginning their weekends. 7:00 comes. 7:00 goes. I try to focus on my book knowing it is possible the last meeting of Mr. Perect's day could have run long. 7:15 comes and goes. I shoot him a text to make sure I have gotten the location correct and that he is not wandering the perimeter of the park looking for me. 7:30 comes and I have not heard from Mr. Perfect. I am not one to wait, but I am also one to enjoy my surroundings given any circumstance so I decide to enjoy the evening until the soda I have purchased is gone. 8:00 comes and goes along with the remainder of my CokeZero and I am still alone amongst a thousand of people. I call his cell, leave a message, hoping nothing is wrong and head for my train so I can finish packing.

The next week finds me busy with volunteer work in the Midwest so I am distracted from "my quest" for a time, but still come to think about Mr. Perfect and what happened to him. 10 days go by and I finally shoot him an e-mail saying simply "So..."

Response:"Hi. I'm very sorry about going MIA over the past few weeks. I didn't entirely expect it but could have handled it better. Anyway, I think I've realized that we're not a great match. I enjoyed getting to know you a bit but feel a friendlier vibe than a romantic one.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure it will turn out well.

Best wishes,

Dave"

So after hours on the phone together he makes plans with me, continues to contact me, and then suddenly decides to stand me up because he got a "friend vibe"? I get the "friend" thing a lot as I am more often than not "one of the guys" but this wreaks more of "my girlfriend/fiancee/wife took me for the night" or "found out". He warrants no response in my book. Though it was difficult for me to not hit "reply" and follow simply with "douche".

So Mr. Perfect? Not so much. With every date I go on and each man I meet before he becomes a date I am reaffirming that I may not have found "Mr. Perfect" already, but may have already found "Mr. Perfect for Me", and he's nothing like the man I imagined I'd end up with. The Ramone is making a bigger presence in my life these days. He remains out of town for work so there is a built in distance, and though I don't foresee us falling immediately into each other's arms when he returns, it is hard to make it through a day without my mind finding thoughts of him a few dozen times. Will my heart, or my sense of guilt, be able to make it through 44 more first dates? Only time will tell.

Bonus Features:
*works in the city but lives in the burbs
*holds a steady job yet is musically inclined
*close with his family
*great voice (I'm a sucker for this)

As-Is Defaults
*stood me up
*disappeared with a weak reason

No comments: