Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Beat Out That Rhythm On My Heart #14

Dr. Drummer
Height: 5’9
Age: 36
Moderately built, dark, mysterious, yummy

Remember Luca on “E.R.”? Other than the long, dark locks that you imagine your fingers getting lost in, he has nothing on this guy! Noah Wylie? Ha! John Stamos? Nothin’! OK, well maybe John Stamos has something, but I digress. Here’s the thing about fantasies: they are different for everyone. I can’t tell you that Dr. Drummer is the man of your “Scrubs” fantasy, but I can tell you that if I’d had a doctor fantasy before tonight it would be a half hour on a gurney with this guy. Secret? Since I left him that’s all I can think about. But let’s start from the beginning.

I get an online wink from a guy. Like most, before delving into the written part of the profile I go through all of the pictures. A dozen or so pictures and I’m not overly impressed. Not really my type. But after reading what he has to say about himself, his life, and the “partner in crime” he is looking for, I decide he was worth a response. If for no other reason I am intrigued by the “ER doctor/Drummer” occupation he has listed. It takes about four exchanges to set up a late drink after #13 who was already scheduled early. Why not fit another one in so I only have to get dressed once?

I’m excited that I don’t have to do any of the work to set it up, other than telling him when I’m free. He asks me to meet him at a place on Madison and 36th that I have never heard of before which is always great. I get there fifteen minutes early and sit down with the beer menu. I am impressed. Its either coincidence or he has picked this place because of its wide beer selection and I mention liking dark beers in my profile. He hasn’t even shown up yet and I am impressed. Then he shows up and it is 9:28. Two minutes early! Impressed again. He’s better looking in person, in jeans and a cool tee-shirt with a black beaded necklace, than his photos do him justice, but I’m still not blown away.

He sits down and orders beer, apologizing for keeping me waiting. As I’m thinking about how to explain the launch pad for the best date I have had in years I’m realizing that there is no way I can describe to you the night that we had. I guess I’ll start with the first thing that made me sit up and take notice. We had been talking about our work and our passion. He is an ER doctor by trade but moonlights as a drummer, for which he is scheduled to go on a European tour later this year. Very cool. After mentioning to him that I would like to go back to school to be a teacher he said “I’ve known you for all of ten minutes and I can see that.” This may not seem like a big deal, but most of the people I meet in the city can’t really relate to me in education so that meant a lot.

From there it just ignited. I volunteer at a youth conference for a week every summer and where most guys zone out as I talk about he listened and ask inquiring questions about it for a half hour. He has a younger sister who, although they are from San Diego, also lives in the city and is a musical theatre performer, so he has an idea of the work that I do. We both use Mexican food, specifically Qdoba, in place of illegal substances. We share a mutual disdain for Eli Manning. I mean, it just goes on and on and on.

Someone whom I had very little expectation in blew me away. At one point my bangs fell onto my face and swept them back behind my ear. Be still my beating heart. I blew him away by not only tolerating his ER stories, but by encouraging as much graphic detail as possible. I love that stuff! At one point when talking about a surgical procedure he used me as a dummy, his forefinger as a scalpel, and sliced open my sternum and my heart literally jumped out of my mouth.

I generally allot one and a half hours for a first date. That’s plenty of time to get a feel for whether or not you want to spend more time with someone. I met Mr. Drummer at 9:30. 11:00 came without my even noticing. Same with midnight. Then 1, 2 and finally 4a.m. I wasn’t ready for the night to be over. So we walked and laughed, hand in hand, through the streets of Manhattan and it felt incredible. Then he kissed me for the first time on his doorstep. There was no way at this point that I was going to say no. It was the best date I have had in ages and that worries me.

Am I setting myself up for more disappointment? How do I tell him about my quest? After our first evening together he already knows so much about me, and I him, because it was easy to let down our guards. But is that a good thing? We mentioned seeing each other again on Sunday, his next day off but it wasn’t set in stone. Even though I have heard from him fondly, my insecurities are getting the best of me. I know he has the capabilities on the operating table, but he may have other ways of stealing this patient’s heart.

Bonus Features:
*CHEMISTRY
*stable career
*passionate about music
*avid reader of non-fiction (so am I)
*loves sports but isn’t married to them
*close with his sister
*we like to go out in the same neighborhoods
*talked very fondly about his god children
*I could still smell him on me when I woke up the next morning
(I could write a book about the bonus features alone)

As-Is Defaults:
*ummmm, puts in a lot of hours?

No comments: