Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

#13 Has Always Been My Lucky Number...

YanksFan
Height: 5’5
Age: 27
Met: online
A young Jason Alexander


I knew that there had to come a time when I needed to say “yes” to a guy I would normally say “no” to. This was my first date that I wouldn’t have gone on last year. Not just because of his age. Not necessarily because of a lack of physical attraction. I go out with guys I’m not attracted to all the time. And not just because he is two inches shorter than me. Props go out to a former “acquaintance” who at 5’4 made up for his lack of height in other areas. But add those three things up with an introductory e-mail that left no impression and a profile featuring under 100 words? I would normally not even respond. If someone is using an online dating service I expect him to be putting his best foot forward which generally involves more than “I like BBQs”. But I said that I was going to try different guys on for size, so we set it up.

It would be safe to say that I was going into this one with absolutely no expectation. On top of it I wasn’t feeling fantastic. I actually met him at a place in my neighborhood in Jersey and though I was disappointed that he was drinking a girly beer, he was nicely dressed in a freshly pressed shirt and good jeans, and immediately made me feel comfortable. I could tell that he was nervous so I did my best to lead the conversation. He tried to be interested in my business but I could tell he was faking it. So I moved on to sports, a subject that most guys can talk about, and I can keep up fairly well. Turns out, he is a big Yankees fan, too. He even attended opening day with his dad and some coworkers. I was there too so this gave us quite a bit to talk about. We both shared our disappointment in Joe Torre’s book. It was really easy to talk to him. He made it that way. A CPA at a small firm in the suburbs near where I used to work, we were able to chat about the area, as well.

The only thing that put me off, other than the height and lack of attraction, was his lack of ambition. In conversation it came up that he would love to be a baseball statistician. That is fantastic! For a guy with his background I would think he’d be able to land his dream job fairly easily. I encouraged it. Sadly, he would rather stay where he is, even though he isn’t happy, because he is making decent money and doesn’t really have to think about it. And that’s, too bad. It’s possible that the thing missing from this guy’s life is a passion and with it he would be fantastic!

All and all, though there was nothing that stood out, I had a good time. Better than to be expected. I even left thinking that should he want to see me again I just might do it. You never know, maybe his teddy bear quality (with the exception of the really hairy back I could feel through his shirt when he hugged me) would grow on me after a little more time. And he did ask me out again. I had an e-mail from him the next morning. If only I hadn’t met a truly stand-out guy later that same night…

Bonus Features:
*put me at ease
*Yankees fan 
*very warm

As-Is Defaults:
*lack of ambition or fear of failing
*no physical attraction
*back hair

No comments: