Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Tuesday, June 30, 2009

And #4 makes a month!

Jersey Corn
Height: 6'0
Age: 29
Met: online dating site
Standard, good looking (with a sunburned nose)

You know how last time I mentioned the stand out dating site e-mail? Sunday night presented me with one of those and I had to bite! "When can we meet. Especially before some other guy scoops you up. I actually am in LBI starting Thursday morning, so if you're around one night this week, even tomorrow, we should grab a quick drink. hope that wasn't too aggressive. " Well, okay then.

For those of you who don't know this already, New York men are LAZY! There are times when I feel a wink across the room is too much work for them. So this guy's "aggressiveness" was a welcome gift. You mean, I don't have to ask you out? I don't have to pick a time? A place? You're going to do ALL of the ground work? Tomorrow sounds great!

Five minutes early is on time for me. Very little stresses me out more than running late so when my early evening interview continued for more than an hour (not complaining about that, its a good sign we hope), I ended up in that "just gonna make it" time frame for my 7:00 date.

It was a balmy summer evening and as I walked the main street of Hoboken, NJ I couldn't wait to sit outside with a margarita and a guy who thinks I am perfect (on paper). I approach the restaurant just after 7:00 and am pleased to see empty tables outside and my date standing next to a tree with BlackBerry in hand, checking messages. I extend a hand when he looks up to see me but he ignores the hand and goes right in for the hug and kiss on the cheek. Man, he IS aggressive, but I'm a hugger, so it's cool. Sadly he asks if we can sit inside where it's cooler. Oh, alright (read with Eeyore in mind).

#4 (who doesn't have a name yet) works for a major sports broadcaster, so being the avid sports fan I am, we have lots to talk about. Good news, he is a Yankees fan which gives us even more to talk about since the night before Mariano Rivera (the greatest closer of all time) recorded his first career RBI and 500th save (a little somethin' for any guys who might be reading and congrats to Mo!). He asks if I want to eat and is disappointed when I tell him I don't think I should since the post-interview nerves were still swarming in my stomach.

His mom is an avid theatre patron, but he is not really a fan. Which leads to talking about family and his grandparents and parents owned and operated a couple of nurseries in South Jersey. People from New Jersey will rave about how wonderful Jersey corn is. Little do they know that an ear of mid-July Iowa sweet corn inspires multiple corngasms. Heated, yet friendly argument over the best corn in the nation ensues, giving him the name Jersey Corn.

For putting out the aggressive initial vibe, JC is actually a quiet, only mildly confident guy. Not really what I was expecting. But a pleasant 90 minutes were had. Without my even noticing he had given the waitress his card to take care of our check and we walked a couple of blocks toward my train. There were no fireworks but he seems like someone I could spend an afternoon at the ballpark with. Judging from the same hug/cheek kiss that I got both at the beginning and end of the date, he has placed me in the "friend zone", as well.

Should I hear from him again, chances are really good I will see him, as he definitely warrants a second look. For a sports loving girl working in a gay man's business, new ESPN watching friends are always nice to come by.

Bonus Features:
*easy, tennis match kind of conversation
*YANKEES FAN!!! (this is like "no payments for 12 months")
*apparently chivalrous

As-Is Defaults
*no visible flaws

No comments: