Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Tuesday, October 13, 2009

#21; I've Always Had a Sweet Tooth

Sugar Daddy
Height: 6’1
Age: 44, or so he says
Met: online
A stronger, taller, more rugged Ben Kingsley

There have been some fairly impressive men in my life over the years and though some of them have been significantly well off the most I’ve ever gotten is a nice meal. This is more than enough for me. I don’t want elaborate gifts or shopping expeditions, just good company. The idea of the sugar daddy has always eluded me. I suppose it takes a certain person, and I am not she. Tonight, for the first time, I felt like the only reason people could feasibly believe I was with this man was for his money. At first glance he would probably appear to be more of an all-around catch than some of the others, but it didn’t feel like it.

I was responding to an e-mail I had gotten from someone and I found this guy in the “others like” selection when I sent the message off. I clicked on his profile because the photo was taken on a beautiful beach, splashed with long grasses and I wanted to look at the landscape more. I don’t remember even looking at the profile or the other pictures and I was not trying to be charming or insightful when I sent him a message saying simply “I would rather be wherever that picture was taken”. To my surprise he found this one line message to be brilliantly charming and asked if we could meet in his response. I read it on my BlackBerry and since I had already left the house for the day, I went ahead and called to schedule for that evening. This would be the first ever online date that I went on without knowing a thing about the person.

I met him at a quite spot in Hell’s Kitchen where I had been a couple of times before. There weren’t very many people around so it was easy to spot him. He was nicest dressed man of any of the men so far so I was pleased I had overdressed earlier. To my surprise he looked older than I’d expected, but he was also much more attractive than the picture I had looked at would lead you to believe. One of the first things I noticed was the beautiful cufflinks he was wearing. I don’t know that I have ever sat down with a man in cufflinks.

It seems that the first part of any conversation with a New Yorker you have just met has to do with what one does for a living. He started out with some intelligible questions about my new career move and we moved over to him. Though it is sometimes frustrating to have a one sided conversation that is all about me, we never got back to the subject. The man knows how to talk about himself. A lot. I suppose when you have an interesting background like he does it is easy.

A Long Island native, I’m jealous that he is really close with his brother and sister and gets to see them often as they all live within 10 miles of their childhood home, where their parents still live. An All-American linebacker, he played his way through college and took a job on Wall Street after graduation. The first day on the job never happened though. He was dating a model at the time and her agent booked him an audition which he decided to go to by chance. Any of you in the industry will hate him right away. From his first audition he booked a national commercial, then another from his second. Which led to a 7 year modeling career which took him across the globe. Still a business man at heart, he never spent any of his residuals and before the age of 30 took the money he’d saved to start a travel company. He began with 6 employees and when he sold his growing franchise in 2004 he had 160 people working for him. He’s currently working on a project involving water sports in a resort area in Costa Rica where he has already purchased a marina.

Beyond his work is Sugar Daddy is an avid outdoorsman. Though he does fish, he is more of an East Coast outdoorsman. Golf. Sailing. Running. Riding. Both bikes and horses. And he’s a surfer. He claims to be 44, but I suspect he is a bit older, in which case he has an incredible physique for his age. There is something extremely sexy about the idea of a well built, tan, middle-aged man crashing into the waves. I don’t know that I would be able to keep up with him. Where our lives cross is on the cultural side where he frequents the ballet and theatre, and sounds like he is on the board of a museum. On paper, this guy is the real deal, if not a little bit egocentric. But his smile is so contagious and his dimples so endearing that it’s almost forgivable.

Though I’m not sure that I could endure hours and hours of listening to him talk about how fabulous his life is, it was nice to sit with a man who wasn’t afraid to talk about himself. He has a great look so it doesn’t surprise me that he was asked to do a couple of commercials again last year. Now I will have to keep my eye open for him. If only I watched TV… It wasn’t a date to blow your socks off, but he said he’d like to see me again and I’m kind of fascinated by the “talking man”.

Bonus Features:
*very successful
*close with his family
*great smile
*seems to have nice pecs hiding behind that $400 shirt

As-Is Defaults:
*self-absorbed
*hates the Yankees

No comments: