Live and Beauty After #23

After marrying #23, a series of events led to a lot of trauma, a lot of family court, and a lot of changes. Join me on my new journey as I practice wholehearted living as a survivor of domestic violence.


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Take a #22 and Wait

Priority Male
Height: 6’3ish
Age: mid 30s
Met: at the post office
Looks like a dark haired, buzz cut linebacker who decided to smile in the team photo, meaning just goofy

I have lived in many different places; urban, suburban, and rural. Each location has its ups. Each has its downs. I love that if I’m hungry at 3:30 in the morning I can go out and have a sit down dinner at someplace other than Denny’s. In the suburbs I enjoyed the convenience of commercial retail and a less crowded feel while still maintaining a close proximity to the city. In the rural Midwest there are stars by the millions and horizons that hold the most beautiful of sunsets. One thing I took for granted while living in a rural community and I never really thought I’d miss, is being able to walk in and out of the post-office in under two minutes.

I needed stamps. Not standard first class stamps. No. I needed 1 and 2 cent stamps. Why? Because I buy oodles of special edition stamps and the USPS ups the price of postage before I make my way through all of them. So I walk to the nearest post office and get on line (a term that still weirds me out, in Iowa we say we stand IN line, not ON) with about 15 other people. There is one window open. The woman scowling on the other side doesn’t seem to be in any rush so I prep my feet and knees for a long wait. The post office is actually on my way to a pier on the Hudson where I am heading so I have reading with me.

“I voted for her”, says a voice in front of me. On this particular day I am reading Hillary Rodham Clinton’s book “Living History”. The man who had turned around in front of me has an almost overbearing physical presence. When I stepped up behind him I notice the size of his build. Not professional body builder big, but could easily be a MLB infielder. You know me and shoulders, and he has quite the pair. But when I look up from my reading I look right up into the goofy smile of an 8 year old boy. “Did you really or are you just trying to impress me?” Why anyone would try to impress me in my oversize sweats is beyond me. But he seemed to be. We talked briefly about the 2008 election and the previous day’s Yankees game (I was wearing a Yankees cap). When he was second up for the window he asked if I had plans later. I did have late evening plans but decided I could squeeze in a quick pint at a tavern just down the street. He gave me his card, we both did our postal business, and I went to do my reading by the water.

A few hours later I headed back towards the post office in a much more presentable fashion. Early as always I found a spot for two at the bar near the window. At 6:23 there was a tap at the window and I looked up to see my Priority Male. He gave me a great big “Hey!” as he came through the door and bent down to kiss me on the cheek. So far, so good. I hadn’t gotten around to ordering yet and he asked “what are you having?” then proceeded to order up two. The place was fairly quiet and it was nice to not have to yell over music or hundreds of conversations the way you have to in a Midtown bar.

Turns out my fellow Yankee fan is a pilot, like The Marine, but he flies commercial airliners. There’s something about a man in uniform, even if it is a cheap polyester Continental one! From that point forward I wasn’t able to look at him without imagining him in his little hat with his little gold wings. You don’t see a whole lot of really attractive pilots these days and I’d be more than happy to see him sitting in my cock pit on the next flight home! Originally from New England he became a Yankees fan to piss off his older brother who worshiped at the alter of the enemy, the Red Sox. Though it was once a violent rivalry for the two of them, boys will be boys after all, they have since grown up and enjoy egging each other on. As you may know already, I’m pleased to hear he is still very close with his family and sees them fairly often.

Not only is he close with his family, but he is also very close with his dog, whom he has raised from a puppy he picked up at a shelter. Twelve years later you can see the love exude from him when he speaks of his best friend and the sadness in knowing that large breed dogs won’t make it much longer. I’m a sucker for animals, especially dogs, having had to leave my own back home, and the idea of having a big pillow of a Retriever to snuggle up with is almost worth a second date in and of itself.

He also has a two year old niece whom he adores. We couldn’t help but share photos of our girlies and tell our favorite stories. You can tell that he, too, has a bit of a competitive drive as we kept trying to top the other’s stories. Seeing as how I have THREE beautiful, intelligent, outgoing nieces I am pretty sure I win, but I’m also fairly biased 

It didn’t even seem like we had been there that long when he reminded me “don’t you have somewhere you need to be?” And he was right. The last hour and forty-five minutes had flown by and I was bordering on being late for my previous engagement. As I was in a bit of hurry after his reminder I wasn’t all that disappointed that he didn’t offer to walk me to my train. But he did say we should meet up again. It’s likely I will say yes, especially if the fur ball is also invited. All in all I am grateful to the United States Postal Service for being completely inefficient at their Washington Street branch. If I’d been able to walk up to the window I may have missed out on a perfectly lovely evening.

Bonus Features:
*I love those shoulders
*family oriented
*an animal lover

As-Is Defaults
*travels a lot for work
*no real chemistry

No comments: